Country Matters Hexton

News from Country Matters Hexton, a shop in Hertfordshire

Powered by Blogger.

Fruit scones & delicious homemade jam



Fancy a lovely light scone and some homemade jam, check out our range of jams in the shop, pick up some eggs and flour and get making these scones, they are so easy you will have them ready to eat in less than an hour.

I never know which recipe to do so I searched around and found this one special fruit scones, I like to make the savoury ones with an egg, so decided to search around for the same with fruit.

75g butter, chilled and cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
350g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
30g caster sugar
75g sultanas
about 150ml milk
2 large eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C/425°F/Gas 7)

I rubbed in the butter with the flour and baking powder, added sugar and fruit, then using a fork I mixed in the milk, and some of the egg mix, then added a bit more so that there was some left.  The mixture wasn't too wet.

I have 2 cutters and have measured them now - one is 3 inches and the other 2 1⁄2 inches, I actually did some of each.  The 3 inch on you will only get about 6 or 7.  I ended up with 3 large and 5 small.
I feel I need a 2 ¾ inch cutter!

I also didn't roll out the dough just flattened with hand which was fine.

The cream was a big cheat and came out of a can....

They needed more than 10 mins in my oven (more like 15) - but used the top which is a bit iffy, as other half was cooking a casserole in big oven!

Jams just in:





No comments