Country Matters Hexton

News from Country Matters Hexton, a shop in Hertfordshire

Powered by Blogger.

Leek and onion scones

Visit our Facebook page and 'like us' Hexton Country Matters

We have leeks and onions in the Country Matters Hexton and they are local, so all the better for getting those miles reduced.  I made these recently and they were lovely, I couple them with some homemade chutney - also in the shop, and some cheese and salad.


Here they are fresh from the oven - one already gone I am afraid!  Perfect with some soup too.

set oven at 230C/450F/gas 8

1 small leek - sliced thinly and chopped
small onion - finely chopped
225gm (8oz) self raising flour (also available in the shop)
salt (maybe some paprika)
55gm (2oz) butter
125ml (4.5fl oz) milk

saute leek and onion with a small amount of oil until soft

rub the butter into the flour and salt (and paprika), so that it is resembles fine breadcrumbs...I also added a handful of grated cheese!

add the milk until it forms a soft dough

put onto floured surface and flatten to around 2.5cms (1 inch thick), and then cut 2 inch rounds with a cutter.  I made 6 - so you can double the recipe and make more.

put on baking tray - brush tops with a beaten egg or milk, and bake for 12 minutes.

I did this one without an egg, was similar recipe to the spring onions, on reflection I think I prefer with an egg....so just make up the liquid quantity as you wish...next on the list is to try buttermilk!




No comments