Country Matters Hexton

News from Country Matters Hexton, a shop in Hertfordshire

Powered by Blogger.

American Pancakes - Recipe - Pancake Day - 25th February

It is pancake day soon, how about giving American pancakes a go?  This was my first attempt and they were easy.


Super fresh eggs in the Hexton Country Matters shop...here is the recipe:



You will need:
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp of sugar
1 Egg
100ml milk

Optional to add:
1 tsp cinammon
Vanilla Essence
Banana (mashed) - I had one that was going in the bin, 
Blueberries 

Optional to serve:
Icing sugar
Fruit
Maple syrup
Runny honey
Golden syrup



Get all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together, I use 1 tbsp of each dark muscavado sugar and 1 demerara, I would stick to the lighter ones next time as it made the mix too dark for my liking, especially as I added cinnamon

Some recipes had more sugar, I wasn't even convinced it needed any.


Once they are combined add the egg and some of the milk, whisk together it soon sorts itself out, the mix needs to be fairly think otherwise it will spread too much in the pan, so you may not need to add all the milk, I didn't as my egg was large.

Add some fruit if you fancy, or leave plain and serve later.


Before you start cooking get all of your servings at the ready as they need to be eaten hot.  Maybe put the oven on low, and as you cook them keep them warm in there so you can serve all at once.

Get your pan hot, you can fry in butter/oil, I just dry fried mine, I like to save a few calories here and there!

Add a big spoonful, and let it settle in the pan on its own, it should make a rough round.  If it is too thick you can always add a drop of milk to the remaining mix.  I turned my heat down to let them cook through.

I made 6 - eat 2 and have frozen the rest - I have no idea how they will turn out - but thought worth a try.

Please visit our Facebook page share and like us to spread the word.

1 comment

  1. Got the hang of these now, don't bother with sugar, and made a bit thinner, add blueberries most of the time

    ReplyDelete