Country Matters Hexton

News from Country Matters Hexton, a shop in Hertfordshire

Powered by Blogger.

Date crumblies - Recipe


Not posted in a long time, so thought a recipe would be good.  Please visit our Facebook page

A recipe given to me by a friend many many years ago, and not really sure what to call them.  They do make me think of the 'winter' as they have dates in them.  Bit like flapjacks with a lot less oats.

I make them in a 11 X 7 tray





Date Crumblies
200g of dates 
225g Plain flour (wholemeal is good)
100g Rolled Oats
75g Soft Brown Sugar
150g Butter or Margerine

Make the dates into a 'paste' first. Chop and then simmer slowly with a little water – just keep adding a little water until it is a thick paste if that makes sense

Melt the fat and sugar add flour and oats.


Put half into the tin and squash it down - I just do it with my fist, I did try it with a wooden mallet thing but it stuck! Spread dates evenly, and then sprinkle remainder of the mixture over the top as a crumble. Squash it a little bit so it sticks when cooked

I think you could use between 150 and 250 g of dates - really depending on taste.  My friend said you can use apricots, never tried this though.

Bake 200c – 20 mins cut into portions - I do 5 X 3 portions so 15. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments