Country Matters Hexton

News from Country Matters Hexton, a shop in Hertfordshire

Powered by Blogger.

Carrot & Fruit cake with honey



Visit our Facebook page and 'like us' Hexton Country Matters

This was a recipe I found in a book, and decided to give it a go - it was fab, and I would definitely recommend making it, we have carrots and honey in the shop - it is lovely and moist.

Visit our Facebook page and 'like us' Hexton Country Matters


Put all of this lot in a saucepan (or I did a bowl and pop in the microwave)

125g - 4oz soft brown sugar

6 tablespoons of clear honey (although I reckon set will do)

175g - 6oz of grated carrot

125g - 4oz seedless raisins

50g - 2oz chopped dates
3/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
125g - 4oz butter
150ml - ¼ pint water

and bring to the boil - then simmer for 5 mins, leave to cool

then add:
1 beaten egg
and then mix together thoroughly:
125g - 4oz wholemeal flour
125g - 4oz plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

I used all plain flour this time as I had not got any wholemeal, and it still seem to work.

How simple is that!
put the mix in a 23cm (9inch) cake tin and bake for 55 - 60 mins - 180c/350f/gas mark 4

No comments